Useful information on Police, Fire, Ambulance & Other Emergencies



Phone 999 and ask for police, fire service or ambulance.

Telephone no.


The Police Team covering this area is the Hillside team.

2964818 and 2964887.


Northern General NHS Trust Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield S5 7AU Tel: 0114 243 4343.
Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Road, Sheffield S10 2JF Tel: 0114 271 1900 for minor injuries 8.00 am-8.00 pm.
Sheffield Children's National Trust Hospital, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TH Tel; 0114 271 7000.


List if Chemists - click here


Transco Gas Emergency Service, tel: 0800 111 999
Yorkshire Electricity, tel: 0800 375 675
Yorkshire Water, tel: 0845 782 88 88 or 0845 1 24 24 24
Floodline - 24 hour advice and information on floods and flood warning, tel: 0845 988 11 88


Childline, tel: 0800 1111
Samaritans, tel: 0114 276 7277 (national tel: 0845 7 90 90 90)


University of Sheffield "Hotline" is 2224085. Any problems relating to students and their residences.

Personal safety

Someone at the door?
you open it:
put on the door chain
can you see them? - do you have a window where you can look outside or a door viewer to see who is at the door?
do you know them?
why are they calling?
are they in uniform?
can you see their vehicle?
don't take off the chain until you have seen their identification
If you are not sure, contact the *company which they are claiming to represent.
Remember, if you are not sure, don't let them in.
If you suspect someone, let the police know immediately. You may have avoided falling victim, but don't let them go and try it out on your neighbour.

*AccuRead staff will read your gas meter. All staff wear uniform and carry identification. They may attend in a marked vehicle. For queries on AccuRead personnel, tel: 0800 393 499.
British Gas Services service and install gas appliances. All staff carry an identification card. All wear uniform and attend in a marked British Gas vehicle. Any queries, tel: 0645 60 50 40.
All Yorkshire Water staff wear uniform and carry identification. They attend in a marked vehicle. Some Yorkshire water meters are now read by Yorkshire Electricity staff. If there is a problem with the sewerage system, it is not normally necessary to enter the house unless the problem directly affects the house. If staff need access to the stop tap and the first tap in the system, they will need to enter your home. They will NOT need to go upstairs. For queries on Yorkshire Water staff, tel: 0845 124 24 24.
All Transco engineers wear uniform and carry identity cards. They always attend in a marked Transco vehicle. Any queries, tel: 0800 111 999.
All Yorkshire Electricity meter readers wear uniform and carry identification. As an additional check, if you know or can locate your account number, ask your meter reader to tell you what it is. Calls from Yorkshire Electricity not related to meter reading will normally be by prior appointment only. If responding to a reported fault or emergency, staff will quote the reference or incident number which has been given to them. Any queries, tel: 0800 0233 045.

Going on holiday

Crime and Crime Prevention
If going away on holiday or leaving the house unoccupied for more than a day then we were advised to make the house look as inhabited as possible. Never leave your curtains half-drawn, apparently a sure give away that the house is empty. If you leave a key with a neighbour or friend, essential if you have a burglar alarm, then ring Hammerton Road Police Station, tel: 2964814, and tell them when you are away and the name and address of the key holder. The police will try to keep an eye on the house during your absence. If the key holder is one you always leave a key with, then the police will put this on their list.


Other contact points and telephone numbers


Please email us with the up to date information you think should be on this page



Click to go to Services page


Produced for the Broomhill Neighbourhood and Action Group by Map21Ltd

Disclaimers - please read before using this website